Posted on

growing weed in compost

Growing weed in compost

Creating your own compost can be an easy way to improve your yield and quality. However, you may encounter a few composting challenges along the way. Here are the most common problem you may face and how to tackle them:

Because cannabis does best with a wider range of nutrients during its different stages of growth, compost-supplemented soil provides an excellent balance you simply can’t bottle and sell.

Although you can add a wide variety of things to your compost to create an excellent organic soil amendment, there are some items you do not want to add. These undesirable materials include:

The best time to begin composting is spring, when nitrogen-rich material is in abundance, but comparatively little carbon is present.

Troubleshooting Compost Issues

There are some outstanding organic soil amendments and additives sold in bottles in most nurseries or on the internet, but using these synthetically-derived products exclusively will not necessarily result in excellent soil or buds.

The third, top layer should consist of soil and potting mix that doesn’t contain insecticides or synthetic fertilizers.

Other growers believe that a superior approach is using compost-amended soil and a more conservative fertilizer regimen or one without synthetic fertilizers.

Compost vs. Bottled Soil Amendments

If you haven’t tried compost when growing cannabis, by all means, give it a try. Very likely, it will be part of your cultivation protocol with all future grows.

Ideally, you’d begin with a layer of dried leaves and grass. If you only have access to green plant matter, you can shred and include newspaper in small pieces (as small as possible). As you layer your compost, you want a ratio of approximately 60 percent carbon (dry leaves, grass) to 40 percent nitrogen (green plant matter).

Growing weed in compost

Using compost in guerrilla crops. In this case, ease in the transport of materials is greatly appreciated. We can find compost in the same forest or field where we are discreetly growing our marijuana plants. As done at home, the compost is sieved and the resulting compost is applied. Due to the leachate resulting from the rain, it may not contain many micro and macro nutrients like homemade compost would, but it still provides the soil with a structure, reducing the need of watering.

How to use compost

Commercial composter. No doubt it’s the fastest and most convenient of all. They are usually made of plastic, there is an access from the top side to insert the waste. At the bottom there is a door from where you can collect the mature compost. With this type of composter you avoid problems with rodents attracted by the waste. Its design is ideal for composting at home without sacrificing aesthetics.

Types of composters

Oxygen. The micro-organisms responsible for decomposition die without oxygen. If the mixture is too wet and pasty, the oxygen will hardly penetrate it. For the oxygen to reach throughout the mixture we have to turn it over from time to time. The more you turn it over, the more oxygen gets into the mixture, ensuring the life of microorganisms and facilitating an odour-free decomposition.